- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- A scenic & leisurely cruise of Stewart Island's Paterson Inlet onboard a modern & comfortable catamaran
- A 45-min guided walk at Ulva Island Wildlife Sanctuary, home to some incredibly rare native bird species
- An onboard nature guide to provide interesting & informative commentary about the history & nature of the area
- Departs from the meeting point at Stewart Island Ferry Terminal, Stewart Island
Ulva Island ExplorerImmerse yourself in nature with a cruise around Stewart Island's Paterson Inlet, followed by a guided walk at Ulva Island Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Lunch (optional add-on)
What to Expect
Discover Stewart Island from the water on a leisurely cruise of beautiful Paterson Inlet and a guided walk in Ulva Island Wildlife Sanctuary.
The cruise will showcase some of Paterson Inlet’s stunning scenery with its hidden coves and unspoilt beaches. As you pass various landmarks, you’ll hear fascinating stories of early Maori history and European settlement from your guide. Your guide is passionate about this area, provides informative commentary and is more than happy to answer questions. While on board, keep a look out for fur seals and penguins – there are many of them around this area.
Paterson Inlet is home to renowned wildlife sanctuary Ulva Island, and you’ll stop there for a 45-minute guided walk. The island is home to weka (native woodhen), bush robins, rare saddlebacks and yellowheads, among other species of birds. It is also a protected habitat for some of New Zealand’s rarest plant species. A regular highlight is to encounter inquisitive weka on the beach.
For the remainder of the cruise around Paterson Inlet, relax on board the modern catamaran and enjoy the coastal scenery before returning to base.
Where we Visit:
- Paterson Inlet
- Ulva Island
Frequently Asked Questions
Non-slip shoes/boots, waterproof jacket, warm sweater/fleece jacket, sunscreen/ sunglasses, insect repellent, camera and personal medication (including for asthma and allergies).
The bird life on Ulva Island and Stewart Island is of exceptional interest, not only because of the presence of high-profile species such as weka, wood pigeon, Stewart Island Robin and kaka, but also because Stewart Island and its small outliers provide a refuge for a range of less well-known birds, among them the NZ dotterel, South Island saddleback, Rifleman, Oystercatcher and the red and yellow-crowned parakeet.
- Guests are required to check-in 20 minutes before departure
- The Operator reserves the right to amend timetables, cancel departures, substitute plant and equipment, amend specials or offers and alter ticket prices at any time
- The majority of vessels and all coaches are smoke-free zones, no smoking will be permitted onboard
- In the event of a cancellation or amendment to your booking, refunds will only be granted when The Operator receives notification at least 24 hours prior (NZ time) to departure date
Reviews for Ulva Island Explorer
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely