Hike the first 15 kilometers of the beautiful Queen Charlotte Track with dramatic views of the Marlborough Sounds.
Buy as a Gift
WHAT TO EXPECT
Please note: Minimum of 4 paying passengers is required for this tour to go ahead. If minimum numbers are not reached we will happily refund the tour costs.
One of our most popular walking options, with a variety of scenery from rugged, grand to placidly beautiful Nature's Best combines a scenic cruise with expert commentary, historical Ship Cove and an initially challenging but scenically rewarding 15 km walk to Furneaux Lodge. Here is an example of what you would expect on your day out!
Your adventure will begin as you cruise north from Picton on one of our fleet through the drowned river valleys of the Queen Charlotte Sound and past idyllic bays. As we head towards Ship Cove your skipper will talk about the history, geology, flora, and fauna of the area and – if there is time- will get closer to any passing wildlife, including dolphins who like to play in the wake of the boat.
In the 1770s, sheltered Ship Cove provided safe anchorage, food, water and timber for explorer Captain James Cook and his ship crews on five separate occasions and saw some of the earliest sustained contact between Mäori and Europeans.
There is plenty of historical information at Ship Cove before you climb away from the beach through native forest regenerating beneath a high canopy of trees. The forest includes manuka, kanuka, five finger and tree ferns and is home to many native New Zealand bird species: tui, fantails, silvereyes and tomtits. If you stop for a break, a curious weka may come to check you out.
When you reach Tawa Saddle, stunning views of the Queen Charlotte Sound spread out before you. The track then drops into Resolution Bay and follows an old bridle path into Endeavour Inlet.
Furneaux Lodge at the head of the Endeavour Inlet is your destination. Here you can buy drinks and meals and relax before boarding your cruise vessel at approximately 4-4:30 pm for your return to Picton. Arriving back at approximately 5.30-6 pm.
Walking times: between 3 and 5 hours, depending on fitness level.
One Day Queen Charlotte Track Walk - Ship Cove to Furneaux Lodge
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
Child aged 5-14:
- Please ensure that you have checked in at least 30 minutes prior to the departure time.
- You must exchange your voucher or online booking for a ticket and check-in at the booking office.
- Child prices are from 5-14 years inclusive, infants travel free of charge will an adult.
- We reserve the right to amend timetables and departure times, cancel departures, and alter ticket prices without prior notification due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control, cruise routes and tour return times may alter from advertised however you will still be provided with the full commentary and full tour experience.
- If you have a medical condition that may affect your enjoyment or comfort of any of our transport or tours then please do advise staff prior to boarding.
- Please ensure that your luggage is secure and waterproof, we do not transport items in plastic bin bags or supermarket shopping plastic bags. No shoes or items hanging on the outside, tents and sleeping mats must be transported separately if it does not fit in your bag.
- There is an additional $5 per person fee if you wish to disembark at the Resolution Bay wharf as it is private property payable direct to the landowners, this fee is not included in our products.
- Bookings cancelled within 48 hours of the departure time incurs a 100% cancellation fee. Booking cancelled outside of this incurs a 10% cancellation fee.
- If the weather is too extreme for us to sail and you cannot make an alternative sailing then we will provide you with a full refund in the method that you originally booked. We do not provide refunds due to the weather being unfavourable - ie raining. Or weather conditions changing on board. If you have concerns about the weather then please advise our reservations staff prior to boarding for an alternative option.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions
- Furneaux Lodge