- Scenic helicopter flight
- Discover New Zealand's longest glacier
- Glacier landing and 2-hour glacier hike
- Professional and experienced guides
- All equipment - glacier boots & ice crampons
- A waterproof jacket if required
WHAT WE SEE
- Southern Alps
- Tasman Glacier
- Tasman Glacier Lake
- Hochstetter Icefall
Buy as a Gift
Why do we love this
We love that you actually get to walk on New Zealand's longest glacier!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Take in the icy surrounds with a scenic helicopter flight onto the Tasman Glacier! This is New Zealand's longest glacier and today you get to explore it on an epic hiking adventure.
Pickup is available from the Mount Cook Village.
You’ll start your day with a stunning scenic flight over glacial terrain. Start from Mount Cook airport and cruise over the gorgeous Tasman Glacier Lake and ice formations on the lower reaches of the Glacier. You're heading to a location 3000m above sea level!
Once there, venture on to the smooth ice. You'll feel tiny as you stand in the shadow of the highest peaks of the Southern Alps (Aoraki and Mount Tasman).
Then, equipped with glacier boots and crampons, you'll spend the next 2 hours in another world in the mountains. Lucky you! A heli hike on the Tasman Glacier in the Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park is an adventure usually reserved only for experienced mountaineers!
Fall in love with the beauty of this area and be wowed by the sheer size of the glacier. At 27 kilometres long, 4 kilometres wide and 600 metres thick, it covers an area of 101 square kilometres! It's New Zealand's longest glacier, and also one of the largest.
After your ice adventure, it's time for the flight home. This time, you’ll fly close by the massive 1,000 metre high Hochstetter Icefall on the eastern face of Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Allow approximately 3-hours duration for the whole experience.
Heli Hike times are:
1 May - 14 May - check in 10.00 am 12.00 noon
15 May - 20 Sept - check in 10.00 am
21 Sept - 30 April - check-in 10.00 am, 12.00 pm and 2.00 pm
Please note: check In closes 60 minutes prior to departure time. Your flight is subject to favourable weather conditions; if cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund. Please call 24 hours prior to departure on 0800 650 651 to reconfirm. We recommend booking your flights early in your trip with flexibility for weather changes. Flights are not confirmed until the operator has confirmed they have availability and weather conditions are suitable.
Tasman Glacier Heli Hike
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
Child (8-15 yrs):
What should I bring?
Warm upper-body clothing, preferably 3-4 layers.
Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable.
Sunglasses and sunscreen.
Waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one).
- Alpine Guides Ltd, Mount Cook conduct the helo hike. They have been taking visitors over this epic icefall terrain since 1966 and can trace their heritage back 100 years. They have an immaculate safety record, rigid assessments and using quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is taken care of
- Check In closes 60 minutes prior to departure time
- Your flight is subject to favourable weather conditions; if cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund. Please call 24 hours prior to departure on 0800 650 651 to reconfirm
- We recommend booking your flights early in your trip with flexibility for weather changes
- Moderate fitness required
- There is a minimum age of 8 years
Please note that the bookings are processed manually. Please chat to us before making the booking OR you can book with us but please note your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
- Should you fail to check-in on time, or notify us of changes less than 24-hours prior to departure, your credit card will be debited with the total amount of the booked activity.
Buy as a Gift
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews