- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- Scenic cruise across the reflective waters of Lake Mapourika, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains & glaciers
- A guided walk along the private rainforest trail within the Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary, with the use of walking poles if required
- Warm tea or coffee onboard to keep you warm, even in winter
- Friendly & knowledgeable skipper who'll provide fascinating insights into this beautiful region
- Convenient return transfers from Franz Josef, if required
Where we Visit:
- Lake Mapourika
- Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary
What to Expect
Embark on a journey across Lake Mapourika and into the sheltered bays of the Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary. The Hannah-K is purpose-built for the West Coast with a covered cabin area as well as outdoor viewing platforms that allow you to get up close with some of Westland's native birdlife and lush ancient rainforest.
Enjoy the views and wildlife from the boat, then disembark on the far shore for your guided walk through the magical rainforest trail into the Kiwi Sanctuary! The track is designed to take you through another time with Jurassic rainforest, abundant birdlife, and home to the rarest Kiwi on the planet – the Rowi! It's estimated the population has fewer than 500 birds.
Your guide will point out the wildlife, including white herons and native bush birds, and tell you all about the region's flora, fauna, and kiwi conservation. You may even get to try some edible native plants!
Enjoy the unbeatable scenery in its pristine state on the return journey, with panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers.
Guests are advised to wear comfortable footwear for the walk through the rainforest – no flip flops; however, closed-toe or walking sandals are fine.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Hanna-k is fully covered to keep you warm and dry in all weather conditions. You can even sit on the back viewing deck while remaining dry!
Lake Mapourika holds equally beautiful qualities in the rain as it does on a bluebird day. On a drizzly day enjoy dramatic clouds sweeping over the Alps and a beautiful lush misty rainforest surrounding the lake. In the rain, this is a true west coast experience! We provide wet weather equipment for any walking tours during wet weather.
- Sunglasses or a cap
- Any food or drink (optional BYO wine or beer for evening cruises)
- Tours require minimum numbers to operate
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel tours if minimum numbers are not met or in the event of adverse weather conditions
- The Operator assumes no responsibility for injuries, delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather conditions and other conditions beyond their control
- The Operator is not responsible for any loss or damage to property
- Cancellations/date changes must be made a full 24 hours prior to the trip time
- Cancellations made within the 24 hour time frame cannot be refunded
Reviews for Lake Mapourika Cruise & Rainforest Walk
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation