- Enjoy a snorkel lesson and guided tour with passionate instructors
- Perfect for first-time snorkelers
- Learn some advanced techniques
- Explore New Zealand's first marine reserve
- Meet marine life like blue maomao, huge snapper s and stingrays
- A possibility of seeing dolphins and orcas
- All equipment is included in the price
- After the tour, use the equipment for the remainder of the day
Goat Island Guided Snorkel for BeginnersLearn how to snorkel with passionate instructors on an adventure at the Goat Islands Marine Reserve!
Why do we love this
We love that this tour gives you an intro into snorkelling, and equips you with the basic skills for some underwater fun. We also love that equipment is included in the cost AND you get to use it even after the tour has finished!
What to Expect
Perfect for first-timers, this tour will show you the basics and get you familiar with the exciting world of snorkelling!
Meet at Goat Island Dive and Snorkel Center, where the friendly staff will get you kitted up with a mask, snorkel, fins and a wetsuit.
Then, drive a short 3 km in your own vehicle to the Goat Island Marine Reserve. Here, you'll meet with your Snorkel Instructor who will be guiding you today.
Your experience starts with an introduction where you'll learn how to use the equipment and some snorkel techniques.
Goat Island is New Zealand's first marine reserve, so there are lots of things to discover. Your guide will tell you about the history of Goat Island and introduce you to the marine life you are likely to meet here!
Then, it's almost time to jump in! Just one full safety briefing to make sure you're ready and then it's out to the water.
Finalize your equipment and get used to using it in the shallows. It feels a little strange breathing underwater at first! Once everyone is feeling confident and comfortable it's time to make your way out into the waves and continue your adventure.
Once in the water, you'll become part of a natural aquarium with myriads of colourful fish and marine life swimming around you. Watch for blue maomao, huge snapper, eagle and sting rays, blue cod, octopus, kahawai and well as crayfish. Sometimes dolphins or orca visit the reserve and play with the snorkelers... it could be your lucky day!
After the tour, you will be able to use the equipment for the remainder of the day and carry on exploring. It's the perfect chance to perfect your skills and get even more confident.
Allow between 2 - 2.5 hours for this tour. Your meeting place is at Goat Island Dive Shop shop (just above the Leigh Sawmill Cafe). Please arrive at the scheduled time. You can pick up an underwater camera or smartphone waterproof cases from the Dive Shop to take pictures during your adventure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please bring along swimwear, towel, sunscreen, something warm to put on afterwards and a snack or two.
There are no food outlets down at the Reserve, drinks and snacks can be purchased at our store.
- If the weather looks doubtful: a.) Check your text messages and answer phone on the day as we may have tried to contact you to cancel the activity b.) OR phone the shop the day before 09 422 6925 or on the morning of your booking to confirm weather is suitable and safe for your dive/snorkel experience. c.) Like us on Facebook for daily weather updates.
- Please bring along swimwear, towel, sunscreen, something warm to put on afterwards and a snack or two.
- There are no food outlets down at the Reserve, drinks and snacks can be purchased at our store.
- Minimum age of 8 years (kids under 12 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Must be able to understand basic English
- Allow plenty of extra time for travel (especially weekends). Traffic is often held up at Johnson Hill Tunnel.
- Your meeting place is at Goat Island Dive & Snorkel shop not the beach (just above the Leigh Sawmill Cafe) at the scheduled time (please don't be late as it holds the rest of the snorkelers up). Our friendly team will fit you with comfortable snorkel equipment.
- You can pick up an underwater camera or smartphone waterproof cases at Goat Island Dive & Snorkel shop to take pictures during your adventure
We have a 24 hour cancellation policy, please notify us of any cancellation prior to this time. No show or late cancellation, your credit card will be charged full amount. o Your safety is our highest priority, if we cancel due to a weather call made by us you can re book for another time and date.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely