- Get up to $40 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 1 hr hot air balloon flight over Melbourne, waking up with the sunrise
- The chance to help out with simple tasks, making this a hands-on experience
- An experienced pilot at the helm with decades of flying behind them
- Wonderful post-flight breakfast at Sofitel on Collins, on the 35th floor, with excellent views
- Return transfers from Melbourne to the launch site of the day
- Departs from the meeting point at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, 25 Collins St, Melbourne
Melbourne Hot Air Balloon Flight with BreakfastUpgrade your stunning sunrise hot air balloon adventure over Melbourne with a sumptuous champagne breakfast afterwards.
What to Expect
Melbourne is always a lovely city, but when you are able to see it at sunrise from the vantage point of a hot air balloon flight, you will experience it in its full splendour.
This experience is the perfect way to start your day, and includes a hot air balloon flight followed by a delicious breakfast from the restaurant on the 35th floor of the Sofitel Melbourne on Collins.
After assessing the wind and weather conditions of the day, your pilot will decide each morning which launch site is the best option for the day.
You might take off from Williamstown and drift over the city to land in parks close to the Eastern Freeway or take off from Albert Park and fly towards Essendon or Northcote. Sometimes the balloon takes off from Moorabbin and lands at Royal Park – the options are countless.
Once at the launch site, it will take about half an hour to set the balloon up, and everyone is welcome to participate in simple tasks to help get the balloon ready. When the balloon is inflated, and with everyone onboard, there will be a short safety briefing before launch.
Seeing the Yarra River meander through the city, past the Australian Open Tennis Centre, the massive MCG, the many parks and gardens so beautifully kept, and the sunlight twinkling off the windows of the modern buildings will create memories for life.
While you are in the air, one of the crew follows you on the ground through visual and radio contact to meet you at the landing site, help pack the balloon away and then drive you back to the original meeting point.
Frequently Asked Questions
The simple answer is to dress for outdoor activity and be practical. Ballooning tends to be a hands-on experience, and you can get a little dirty on different tasks, especially in helping to pack the balloon away after the flight.
Avoid expensive clothes and whites if possible. Above everything else, be practical with what you wear on your feet. Sturdy shoes and boots are best, but runners are also generally ok. Wear socks, avoid city flats and above all else, no high heels! The fields are damp most early mornings; the grass might be wet after some rains, and, if flying in the countryside, balloons might land in paddocks with cattle
Bring a small bag if you like, with spare shoes or socks if you need to go straight elsewhere after the flight. The crew will be happy to look after gear in the minibuses.
The pilot will decide not to fly if the conditions are not suitable. This can be because it is either too windy, too unstable or because of low clouds or rain. Balloon flights are cancelled quite often, and it is best to have some flexibility if at all possible. If your flight is booked, you can easily reschedule for another day of your choice.
Passengers flying with the Operator must be able to climb IN and OUT of the basket unaided. The side of the basket is approx. 1.2 mt high with two footholds for passengers to use like a ladder when climbing into the basket. The Operator’s staff will be in attendance to supervise passengers climbing into the basket. The Pilot in command will make the final decision on whether a passenger is fit enough and, therefore, able to travel on the balloon flight.
The Operator recommends that less-able persons seek medical advice before participating in a balloon flight. Civil Aviation Safety Authority rules prohibit certain disabled persons for safety reasons.
The distance a balloon flies depends on the speed of the winds entirely. Most commercial flights last about one hour, and the distance they travel depends on the distance the air (or the wind) travels in that time. It can be but a few kilometres or, especially if the upper winds are fast, they can go for distances like 30, sometimes 50 kilometres.
Generally, the answer is no; you won't feel height sick in a balloon, even if you are afraid of heights. This is a difficult one to explain why. Strangely enough, from a balloon basket, no matter how high you are flying, you do not have the feeling of depth that you have, for example, if you are looking over the edge of a tall building. It constantly surprises passengers how safe they feel once in the air, even though they thought they would be a little scared before the flight. You can lean on the side of the basket quite comfortably and enjoy the views with a feeling of safety; no need to worry.
You won't feel any colder during the flight than you would feel on the ground. Why? Because the balloons do not travel through the air, they travel in the air, so there is no windchill factor. Plus, you'll have the burners above your head keeping you warm.
It can still be chilly because you'll meet early and are outside before the sun comes out, so make sure you check how cold the morning will be and dress appropriately. Again, it is important that you do not get cold feet as the fields can be damp with early morning dew or after some rains. Use good outdoor gear.
Hot air balloons rely on the differences in air density for lift. By heating a large volume of air (the one inside the balloon envelope), this air becomes less dense because the molecules of air expand, and air escapes from the mouth of the balloon. Simply put, the air is displaced from the balloon.
Once it displaces enough air, the whole aircraft weighs less than the air that has been displaced, and this will cause it to rise or take off.
- Hot Air ballooning is an outdoor adventure activity using fields that can be uneven for take-off and landing. It is important that you dress appropriately using practical clothing and sturdy footwear. The fields can be wet and muddy, so city shoes are not advisable
- Passengers flying with the Operator must be able to climb IN and OUT of the basket unaided. The side of the basket is approx. 1.2 metres high with two footholds for passengers to use like a ladder when climbing into the basket
- The Operator recommends that pregnant persons do not fly in a hot air balloon and will not carry passengers who are over 12 weeks pregnant
- The Operator will not carry passengers who have participated in a scuba dive within 24 hours before their balloon flight
- Children must be a minimum of 6 years old to travel on the balloon flight and children up to the age of 12 years old must be accompanied by a responsible adult on the balloon flight
Should you need to reschedule or cancel your booking, certain fees may apply. The Operator should be notified by telephone or email of any cancellation requests.
- Cancellation more than 7 days before the flight departure – a flight may be rescheduled without fees. A cancellation fee of $50 per ticket will apply before any amount is refunded.
- Between 48 hours and 7 days before the flight departure – a reschedule fee of $50 per person will apply to any flight rescheduled. Bookings cancelled within 7 days of a flight departure cannot be refunded.
- Within 48 hours of the flight departure – No changes or refunds are permitted.
- No Show: Under no circumstances will flights be refunded or rescheduled if passengers cancel or do not turn up on the morning of the scheduled flight. You will not be eligible for any refund in part or in full and may not reschedule your booking to another date. You may send someone else in your place if you wish, however, the Operator must be notified of this replacement prior to the flight date.
- City Centre Hotel pick up on request
- No pick up needed, I will park on Lansdowne Street
Reviews for Melbourne Hot Air Balloon Flight with Breakfast
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely