- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full day Whale Watching cruise in the calm waters of Hervey Bay & K’gari (Fraser Island)
- Watch Humpback whales tail-slapping, breaching, pectoral slapping & spy-hopping
- Enjoy a more immersive experience with access to an in-water platform to get up close with the whales (weather dependent)
- Spot other marine life such as bottlenose dolphins, dugongs, turtles, & seabirds
- Delicious morning & afternoon tea served on board, plus a full buffet lunch
- Access to a fully licensed onboard bar for wine, beer & spirits purchases
- Cruise on an eco-friendly, award-winning, modern sailing vessel, with a maximum of 24 passengers ensuring the best views possible
- Optional return transfers from selected local Hervey Bay accommodation, or the option to self-drive to the marina
- Departs from the meeting point at Berth B7, Great Sandy Straits Marina, Buccaneer Drive, Urangan
Exclusive Hervey Bay Whale Watching EncounterHop onboard a multi award-winning sailing vessel for unrivalled opportunities to see whales playing & resting off the Fraser Coast.
- Drink & snack purchases
What to Expect
This incredible experience is one of the most comprehensive Hervey Bay humpback whale watching tours in Queensland.
Jump aboard a comfortable multi award-winning sailing vessel, taking you right to the spot where the whales are playing and resting. Be ready for some tail-slapping, breaching, pectoral slapping or spy-hopping. These magnificent marine mammals will take your breath away as you get up close and personal with them in their own environment, creating a memory that will last forever.
From mid-July to the end of October, the calm waters of Hervey Bay and K'gari (Fraser Island) become a sanctuary for the most magnificent and beautiful humpback whales. The whales return to Hervey Bay every year, making it one of the world's most exclusive whale watching destinations.
Most of the whales you will see are 10 to 13 metres in length and 30 tonnes or more; that's over five times the boat's weight!
Captain Peter Lynch has over 35 years of experience with marine mammals. He's been involved with the rescue and rehabilitation of many stranded marine mammals both here in Australia and overseas. As you cruise, he'll impart some of his wealth of experience and knowledge for a truly informative and exciting day. Plus, he welcomes all your questions, so please be sure to ask.
The vessel departs the Great Sandy Straits Marina at 7:30 am. With a maximum of 24 passengers, you'll avoid the crowds and make the most of plenty of viewing space on the wide decks with undercover seating. In addition to seeing the whales, you'll also get to hear their beautiful songs thanks to the hydrophone onboard.
The vessel also boasts a unique in-water platform for a more immersive experience. It's a wonderful and safe option for guests and is very whale friendly as it allows the whales to decide whether they come in for a look or not. Plus, there's no extra charge!
As you cruise, you'll enjoy a morning tea of tea, coffee, hot soup, muffins, biscuits, slices & bread. Then, it's a full buffet for lunch, complete with a complimentary drink (beer, wine or soft drink), plus access to a licensed bar for additional beer, wine, or spirit purchases. Finally, as you head back to the marina, indulge in an afternoon tea of a fruit platter, cake, tea or coffee.
Where we Visit:
- The waters off Hervey Bay & K'gari (Fraser Island)
Frequently Asked Questions
Every whale watching cruise is a unique experience and whales are wild animals so there is no guarantee. The Operator has a very high rate of finding Humpback Whales due to their experience and advanced knowledge of the local waters. There is also a chance that you could see Bottlenose Dolphins, Common Dolphins, Australian Humpback Dolphins, turtles, dugongs, sharks, seals and sea birds.
The vessel has an in-water platform that allows guests to enter the water with the whales. The crew believe this to be a safe option for guests and is very whale friendly as it allows the whales to decide whether they come in for a look or not. This is a great value add to the tour as there is no extra charge for this experience. It will be opportunistic as it does depend on the weather and the whales themselves to come over.
The Operator is a responsible whale watching cruise and doesn’t approach whales within 100m. The whales are able to come in closer if they wish and they are usually quite curious creatures. It is prohibited to touch a whale but if the opportunity is there you will be able to get very close to them.
The catamaran is designed to provide a stable ride and it doesn't go out into open ocean waters. However, depending on the sea conditions you may experience motion sickness. If you think you may experience motion sickness there are medications that you can take prior to boarding. Please talk to your doctor or pharmacy for advice on which is right for you. In addition to this, you can also eat ginger, SAO biscuits and bananas to ease this feeling.
No, smoking is not permitted while on board.
Yes, there is a comfortable seating area shaded from the sun allowing you to rest while still taking in 180-degree views.
- This tour is best suited to children 8 years and above
- Boarding commences 15 minutes before the departure time
- Tours operate according to weather conditions & the Operator reserves the right to cancel the tour in the case of adverse weather
- Passengers must take reasonable care for their safety and comply with any reasonable and lawful directions of the master or a member of the crew of the vessel
- In the event the clients cancel inside of 24 hours of the departure time a 100% fee is incurred
- 24 to 48 hours notice a 50% fee is incurred
- More than 48 hours notice full refund, less agent's commission
Reviews for Exclusive Hervey Bay Whale Watching Encounter
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely