Get close to beautiful Humpback whales and unique marine life in the Gold Coast!
Whale Watching Gold Coast Tour Highlights
- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- Spot Humpback whales in their natural environment
- Whale sightings within minutes of the seaway
- 100% guaranteed whale sightings or you receive a FREE return trip
- 360-degree ocean views
- Complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits
- Fully licensed bar on board
- Accessibility for wheelchairs on Spirit tour vessel
Why Do We Love This
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions
Spirit of Gold Coast Whale Watching Tours departs from Mariners Cove Marina, Berth 95, Arm D, next to the Helicopter Pad, located on 60-70 Seaworld Drive, Main Beach.
To assist you locating the vessel on the day turn left into Mariners Cove Carpark (60-70 Seaworld Drive Main Beach).
*Free Parking is available at Mariners Cove car park.
Spirit of Gold Coast is a 24metre Catamaran built to International Marine Standards (Bureau Veritas) designed for maximum stability and comfort, surveyed for 170 passengers + five crew in open waters. During the whale season, we like to limit our numbers to a maximum of 145 to give all passengers space to move around and take advantage of the great viewing positions.
Our vessel has excellent 360º viewing from upper and lower decks and a fully licensed bar. This boat was designed for your comfort.
Our Gold Coast location allows Spirit of Gold Coast to enjoy the longest Whale Watching season in Australia from June to early November each year. No two whale watching journeys are the same, with an unforgettable experience occurring during the whole whale watching season.
At the beginning of the season you are likely to watch these amazing creatures as they migrate north to warmer waters to mate and give birth, whereas later in the season you are likely to catch them as they return south with their newborn calves.
Each year Humpback Whales (otherwise know as Megaptera novaeangliae) travel past the Gold Coast during their migration. On the rare occasion you may be fortunate to also see Orcas (killer whales).
There is also a large variety of other marine life to keep an eye out for including but not limited to dolphins, flying fish, turtles, sharks and birds.
As responsible whale watchers, we don’t approach closer than 100m of the whales. Though that doesn’t mean the whales can’t come to us and they do. Whales are curious mammals – at times they will dive for a few minutes and come up where you least expect them, sometimes close to the boat!
If it is overcast or lightly raining we still venture out to see the whales; we tend to find the whales are still active. We have plenty of under covered areas (including indoors) so you can stay warm without missing out on seeing the whales if you wish.
We base our decision on the tides and the winds. If it is too rough and unpleasant we will contact you the day before to reschedule your trip.
Motion sickness affects us all in different ways causing many people to get sea sick. If you know or are unsure how the boats journey will affect you, sea sickness tables can be purchased from a pharmacist or alternatively on board our vessel on the day. As our tours venture out to the ocean it is always better to come prepared. If you are still concerned, we recommend you speak with a pharmacist and eat lightly before embarking.
The Spirit Vessel is wheelchair accessible; however, all guests MUST follow the below guidelines:
- Access to the Spirit Vessel is by a ramp, which is 80 centimetres wide. The steepness of the ramp will vary depending on the tide
- They can ONLY accept non-motorised, collapsible wheelchairs on board Spirit
· All guests who use a wheelchair MUST be able to take several steps from their wheelchair to a fixed boat seat. This is due to OH&S reasons, as all seating must be attached to the boat for passenger safety
· Please note that Spirit crew cannot carry passengers from their wheelchair to the boat seating. All guests who use a wheelchair must be able to move themselves, or bring assistance with them
· The Spirit Vessel is equipped with standard marine toilets. There is a small step up to access all toilets on board
Reviews for Whale Watching Gold Coast Tour
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.