- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- An afternoon tour of Alice Springs' historical sites, including ANZAC Hill
- Entry fees for various attractions including the Alice Springs School of the Air, Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve, & Royal Flying Doctor Service Alice Springs Tourist Facility
- A delicious afternoon tea
- Transport on-board a comfortable air-conditioned coach, with the services of an experienced driver/guide
- Convenient return transfers from selected Alice Springs accommodation
What to Expect
On this afternoon tour, you'll immerse yourself in the history of Alice Springs, also called Mparntwe (pronounced m'barn-twa) by the Arrernte people. Originally named Stuart, you'll visit the places that played a part in its evolution to the hub of the Red Centre it is today.
Once you get picked up from your accommodation, the first stop is the Alice Springs School of the Air. It's an important resource for kids of the Outback, which provides education to children living in remote Northern Territory areas who would otherwise not have access to learning. The teachers use a combination of interactive technologies and engaging practices to ensure these kids have the tools to reach their full potential.
Next is the Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve. When Europeans first settled the area, the only form of communication was the telegraph. This station relayed messages between Alice Springs (called Stuart back then) and Darwin for 150 years.
Another essential Outback service is next – the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) Alice Springs Tourist Facility. One of the challenges of remote living is access to medical services and emergency care, and the life-saving Royal Flying Doctors provide this. Visit the original site established in 1939, hear heroic stories, walk through the museum, and experience the RFDS story in virtual reality.
Round out the afternoon with a trip to ANZAC Hill. Situated by the Todd River, it offers incredible views over the township against the spectacular backdrop of the MacDonnell Ranges.
Where we Visit:
- Alice Springs School of the Air
- Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
- Royal Flying Doctor Service Alice Springs Tourist Facility
- ANZAC Hill
Frequently Asked Questions
- Proof of booking (can include the e-version delivered to your email)
- Water bottle (at least 1 litre)
- Strong, non-slip walking shoes
- Hat (wide-brimmed is best)
- Casual and comfortable clothing (cool, light clothing is best in summer and warm clothing for winter)
There is a variety of short walks on this tour that can be enjoyed by all ages and fitness levels.
Reviews for Historical Alice Tour
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- The minimum age is 2 years & all travellers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- The Operator reserves the right to alter the route or itinerary of a Tour/Transfer/Private Charter and arrange alternative carriers if necessary. We will ensure the service or experience we substitute will be of an equivalent standard for you to enjoy. No refunds will be given in these circumstances
- You will visit places where dangers and challenges will be greater than those present in your daily lives. There may be a higher degree of personal risk due to participation on the tour. You acknowledge and accept that your decision to travel on our tour is made in light of consideration of this and you are aware of the personal risks involved
- Some trips can be physically demanding, and it is important to note that Central Australia experiences extreme weather conditions during summer
The Customer may cancel the Tour/Transfer/Private Charter and will receive the following refund:
- 4 days or more prior to the day of departure: your payment will be refunded less an admin fee of $20
- Within 3 days of the day of departure: reservation is non-refundable
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
- A Good Rest B and B
- Alice Lodge Backpackers
- Alice Motor Inn
- Alice on Todd Apartments
- Alice Secret Travellers Inn
- Alice Springs Tourist Park
- Blatherskite Park
- Crowne Plaza - Lasseters
- Desert Palms Resort
- Diplomat Motel
- Discovery Parks Alice Springs
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
- Elkira Motel
- Gapview Hotel
- Gday Mate Caravan Park
- Heritage Caravan Park
- Jump Inn
- Kathy's Place B and B
- Quest Apartments
- Stay at Alice Springs (formerly Aurora)
- Swagmans Rest Apartments
- TO BE ADVISED
- Todd Tavern - pick up is from Aurora
- Wintersun Cabin and Caravan Park
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation