- 90 minute scenic boat cruise of Taupo and Ngatoroirangi Māori Rock Carvings
- Live commentary about the history of the region
- Comfortable booth seating, warm areas, and pram/wheelchair access
- Spacious viewing platforms to get close to the scenery
- Onboard activities to entertain the kids like colouring, driving the boat, and a treasure hunt
- Free homemade muffin and a hot drink included in your ticket
WHAT TO EXPECT
Journey to the Māori Rock Carvings in comfort and style during a stunning tour of Taupo’s bays. This 90-minute tour is a top thing to do in Taupo and a bucket list activity for many visitors of New Zealand.
On this tour, you'll board a Cruise Cat with comfortable booth seating, warm areas (for chilly days), and pram/wheelchair access. The boat travels slowly through the Taupo's bays while passionate staff onboard provide commentary about the history of the region. The Māori Rock Carvings in Taupo was sculpted by master carver Matahi Whakataka-Brightwell. His grandmother, Te Huatahi Susie Gilbert of Ngāti Tūwharetoa, asked him to create a likeness of her ancestor Ngātoroirangi on a totara tree to create a permanent connection for her family to the land. Ngatoroirangi was a Māori navigator who guided the Tūwharetoa and Te Arawa tribes to the Taupō area over a thousand years ago.
When Matahi arrived in Taupō, there was no totara tree to carve, so he journeyed onto the lake for inspiration. The rock alcove at Mine Bay became the canvas for one of the most extraordinary contemporary carvings New Zealand has ever seen. Matahi also carved two smaller figures, which depict tupuna (ancestors) and kaitiaki (guardians). The rock carvings now tower 14-metres above the deep water of Lake Taupō and are one of the North Island’s biggest tourist attractions. Ngātoroirangi is one of New Zealand’s most extraordinary artworks
The Māori Rock Carvings have become an iconic cultural attraction that can only be reached by boatand are best viewed up close from the viewing platforms on this tour's Cruise Cat. This scenic boat cruise boasts comfortable seating for all ages, full amenities on board, plenty of kids activities, and two levels with viewing platforms. The tour offers a free homemade muffin and a hot drink included in the ticket.
- 10.30am Ngātoroirangi Māori Rock Carvings Boat CruiseA 90 minute scenic boat cruise of Taupo and Ngatoroirangi Māori Rock Carvings. Includes live commentary about the history of the region.
From NZD $35Check AvailabilityNext available: Tomorrow
- 1.30pm Ngātoroirangi Māori Rock Carvings boat cruise with live fishing demoAfter a 90-minute scenic boat cruise of Taupo and Ngatoroirangi Māori Rock Carvings, the crew will give a trout fishing demonstration by setting some fishing lines and talking about the various fishing options allowed on Lake Taupo.
From NZD $35Check AvailabilityNext available: Tomorrow
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
2 Adults + 2 Children:
Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
Wheelchair access is dependent on Lake water levels and size of the wheelchair. You must call the office to book prior to travelling to see if the wheelchair can be accommodated during the cruise. Note that there is no wheelchair access to the toilets onboard.
What happens in the event of bad weather?
In the event of bad weather, it may not be possible to view the Māori Rock Carvings. This decision is made at the discretion of the Skipper for the Health & Safety of all onboard the vessel.
Is this tour suitable for children?
Yes, the tour welcomes guests of all ages.
- The tour operator is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our clients, employees, visitors and any other persons involved in our business operations. Adventure activities have a degree of risk. Participants should be aware that no operator can absolutely guarantee their safety. The tour cannot be held responsible for injury and loss or damage to personal property if you fail to follow instructions.
- It is the Skipper's right to refuse clients on board if they are intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. There will be no credit refund if a participant is excluded from cruising due to being under the influence of alcohol or drugs. There is also no credit refund if a confirmed booking is not taken up, unless the operator cancels the trip.
- No alcohol can be taken on board the vessels.
- Any willful damage incurred to the property of the tour will be charged to you, the client.
- The operator and/or their employees are not liable for any property loss or damage, personal injury or suffering while participating in an activity. Where you are entitled to a refund, the refund will be made to the same credit card that you used to confirm the booking.
- No refunds or credits will be provided if you fail to advise any amendments to the booking or fail to report at the venue of the operator with the appropriate vouchers issued for that booking on the day and/or time booked. Bottom of Form
- Wheelchair access is dependant on Lake levels and size of the wheelchair. You must call the office to book prior to travelling to see if the wheelchair can be accommodated. Note that there is no wheelchair access to the toilets onboard.
- In the event of bad weather, it may not be possible to view the Maori Rock Carvings. This decision is made at the discretion of the Skipper for the Health & Safety of all on board the vessel.
- If a cancellation is made by you, the client, within 24 hours of arrival day, loss of 100% of the total booking price. All other cancellations incur loss of 20% of the total booking price. Chris Jolly Outdoors reserves the right to cancel or alter a cruise due to adverse weather conditions, or if a client is unsuitable due to age, size, ill health or poor fitness. If a cruise is cancelled by the operator, you will be given the opportunity to change your booking date, or be given a refund.
- There will be no refund given if a participant fails to turn up for a confirmed booking. There will be no refund for a booking cancelled within 24 hours of departure. A 50% cancellation fee will apply to any cancellations within 2 days of a confirmed bookings departure.