- 30-minute scenic flight over Kaikoura coast
- Whale sightings from the air
- Individual window seats and unobstructed viewing
- Fly over whales at a height of 150 metres
- 15-minute pre-flight information and safety briefing
Whale Watching Flight KaikouraEnjoy a unique whale watching tour as you soar over Kaikoura and spot sperm whales from the air!
Why do we love this
This tour is something a little different from your average whale watching trip which we love! It also gives those who suffer from seasickness the chance to join in on the whale watching fun.
What to Expect
Soar over the Kaikoura coast and spot the majestic Sperm Whales that call this spot home. The shape of the peninsula resembles the fluke of a whale, making it the perfect place for some whale watching fun. With the Kaikoura Ranges and their snow-capped peaks as the backdrop, there's plenty of stunning scenery to soak up too.
Whale watching by aeroplane offers a unique perspective and gives you the opportunity to view whales and dolphins in their natural environment. It's different from your average whale watching experience, and the bird's eye view just adds to the magic! From the air you can really experience the true magnitude of the world’s largest mammal. These animals can reach up 18 metres in length and weigh up to 60 tonnes!
Prior to boarding your flight, you'll have the chance to learn more about Kaikoura’s resident Sperm Whales and other marine mammal species during a 15 minute pre-flight information and safety briefing. All whale watching flights are carried out in accordance with Department of Conservation Marine Mammal Regulations and all aircraft are all equipped with emergency life rafts, personal locator beacons and each passenger carries their own life jacket.
This trip is perfect for those who suffer from seasickness and don't want to miss out on the whale watching fun!
During your Wings Over Whales Kaikoura experience, you'll travel in a high-winged aircraft, which allows each person their own window seat. You'll have optimal, unobstructed viewing of these majestic beasts. You'll orbit the whales at a height of 150 metres, which will give you the opportunity to see and photograph these incredible creatures clearly. You'll get a view of the whales from tip to tail - something you don't get on a whale watching trip by boat!
This is a truly magical experience and a unique way to discover Kaikoura's incredible wildlife.
Facilities are fully wheelchair accessible and tours can happily accommodate the elderly and those with limited mobility on all flights.
Flight time is 30 minutes. Departure times are available every hour from 9.00am until 4.00pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kaikoura has a year round Sperm Whale and dolphin population, as well as other frequently visiting whale species.
We have a long history of operation and a fantastic success rate. Our pilots are trained to spot whales and are familiar with their surfacing and breathing habits. We ask our customers to understand that these whales are wild animals, free to roam in their natural environment. Because we have no control over their movements, whale sightings cannot be guaranteed.
We welcome babies and children of all ages on Wings Over Whales flights. Each child will be fitted with a protective head set and life jackets if necessary. Infants aged 0 to 3 years of age fly free of charge, provided they are seated on a parent or caregiver’s lap. We also have toys and colouring in to keep little ones occupied.
We recommend phoning ahead if you foresee weather being an issue or would like to check the weather conditions before your flight. Rain isn’t normally an issue for our pilots, however if on the odd occasion we are unable to fly due to high winds and poor visibility, we can reschedule your flight. Alternatively if rescheduling your flight is not an option, we are happy to refund your ticket price.
We run flights every hour from 9 am until 4pm and are open every day of the year, with the exception of Christmas Day. We can on occasion extend our hours of operation to cater for specific individuals or groups.
Whale watching flights and scenic air tours are typically 30 minutes in duration. We ask that passengers allow 1 hour to complete their experience as this includes a pre-flight safety and information briefing and enough time to take photographs should you wish.
Advance reservations are recommended particularly during the months of November to March, however, walk-in bookings are sometimes available.
Passengers are asked to check in for their flights at least 30 minutes prior to flight departure.
- Infants under 3 years of age are able to fly free of charge, provided they are seated on a parent or caregiver’s lap. Only one infant per adult is permitted.
- The maximum weight limit per passenger is 135 kg
Conduct on board aircraft
- All passengers are to conduct themselves in a manner that does not endanger any person, damage any property on board the aircraft or obstruct the crew or pilot from performing their duties. Passengers are required to comply with any instructions given by the pilot, including but not limited to the restriction of no smoking, alcohol or drug consumption whilst on board. Dangerous goods are not permitted in or around the aircraft.
Please note that the bookings are processed manually and please chat to us before making the booking or you can book with us and your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
- All whale watching flights are subject to suitable weather conditions. The Operator (Wings Over Whales NZ Ltd.) reserves the right to cancel any flight at any time due to inclement weather, safety concerns, maintenance requirements or any other reason. Fares paid for flights cancelled by the Operator are fully refundable or can be rescheduled to another date/time of the passengers' choosing, subject to availability, at no extra charge.
- Cancellations made by the customer must be received by the Operator no later than 4pm the day prior to flight departure to qualify for a full refund.
- Wings Over Whales Kaikoura have a 95% success rate but due to whales being in their natural environment we cannot guarantee a whale sighting. For this reason, no refunds are given on completed flights.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely