- Get up to $75 cash back per person when you book with us
- An overnight cruise along Doubtful Sound onboard the Mariner, which blends old-world charm with modern comforts
- 1-night accommodation in a double or twin-share cabin with ensuite, with all linen provided (single occupancy also available)
- A hearty chef-prepared 3-course buffet dinner & delicious breakfast, with tea & coffee included
- The chance to explore the Sound up close with the use of kayaks & tender craft
- The opportunity for wildlife encounters with dolphins, fur seals & penguins
- Services of a specialist nature guide on board, who provides insightful commentary
- Scenic boat & coach transfers from the meeting point across Lake Manapouri & Wilmot Pass to Deep Cove
- Departs from the meeting point at RealNZ Visitor Centre, 64 Waiau Street, Pearl Harbour, Manapouri
Doubtful Sound Overnight CruiseEscape to the peace and tranquility of Doubtful Sound on a magical overnight cruise.
- Lunch on either day – BYO is suggested
- Drink & snack purchases from the license onboard bar
What to Expect
Doubtful Sound is unspoiled, unmatched and unforgettable. So get ready to create some lifelong memories as the Mariner takes you through the ultimate Doubtful Sound overnight experience.
Your itinerary starts in Manapouri with a short cruise across Lake Manapouri. A coach then takes you across Wilmot Pass, travelling on a sub-alpine road through dense rainforest. Finally, arriving at Deep Cove, you’ll be met by the crew and the majestic Mariner vessel.
Designed along the lines of a traditional scow, the Mariner blends old world charm with modern comforts that include spacious viewing decks, a dining saloon with a fully licensed bar and an observation lounge.
As you cruise through some of New Zealand’s most stunning scenery, the knowledgeable nature guides will provide commentary, ensuring you miss nothing, be it the pod of resident dolphins, fur seals or rare penguins you might encounter.
After dropping anchor in a sheltered cove, you can choose to explore the shoreline by kayak or tender boat – or to simply relax onboard. For the adventurous (or very brave), there’s even a chance to go swimming. Of course, all activities are weather dependent.
In the evening, you’ll enjoy a delicious three-course buffet dinner prepared by the onboard chef and served in the dining saloon. Mingle with fellow travellers, savour some of the fine wines at the licensed bar and if the skies are clear in the evening, spend some time on the upper deck gazing at the stars.
Kick off the next day with a hearty cooked breakfast menu and get ready to enjoy the rest of the morning exploring other parts of the fiord. Finally, you’ll return to Deep Cove, the trip back to Manapouri and many, many conversations telling friends just how amazing your trip was.
Where we Visit:
- Doubtful Sound
- Wilmot Pass
- Lake Manapouri
Frequently Asked Questions
Only one carry-on bag is recommended for passenger convenience and safety reasons. Don't forget the following:
- Non-slip walking shoes/boots
- Waterproof jacket*
- Warm sweater/fleece jacket
- Change of clothes*
- Insect repellent*
- Swimwear (optional)
- Cash for bar and snacks
- Lunch and snacks for the first day
- Small bag only
* Essential items if you are doing activities. Activities take place even if it is raining.
From Queenstown to Manapouri by car or coach takes around 2 hrs 45 mins and from Te Anau around 30 minutes.
Yes, there is plenty of free parking in Manapouri. Daytime car parking is provided adjacent to the Visitor Centre. In addition, overnight car parking is available on View St, a short 2-minute walk from the Manapouri Visitor Centre.
Fiordland’s weather is what gives the region its unique character. Rainfall is what makes Fiordland a land of lakes, rivers, streams, waterfalls and fiords. Visitors should always be prepared to enjoy some rainfall during their stay. It is recommended to bring sensible clothing for cool and wet weather to fully appreciate your stay.
The temperatures you can expect in the different seasons are as follows:
- Summer (December-February) 19-23 Celsius / 66 - 73 Fahrenheit
- Autumn (March-May) 8-18 Celsius / 46 - 64 Fahrenheit
- Winter (June-August) 5-9 Celsius / 41 - 48 Fahrenheit
- Spring (September-November) 10-19 Celsius / 50 - 66 Fahrenheit
Yes, there is very limited luggage storage available in the waiting area at the Manapouri Visitor Centre for overnight cruise passengers (maximum one bag only per person).
While The Operator cannot guarantee you will see wildlife, sightings of fur seals are reasonably common in both Doubtful and Milford Sounds. A pod of bottlenose dolphins resides in Doubtful Sound, so you have a good chance of seeing these fascinating mammals, and in Milford Sound, dolphins are occasional visitors. In both sounds, the rare Fiordland crested penguin can at times be observed.
- The Operator reserves the right to amend timetables, cancel departures, substitute plant and equipment, amend specials or offers and alter ticket prices at any time
- Please note that you cannot book a twin room if you are traveling alone, please book a single occupancy option.
- The Operator strongly recommends travel insurance for all the experiences, especially for those that require longer notification periods for cancellation
- The majority of the vessels and all coaches are smoke-free zones, no smoking will be permitted onboard. Smoking is only allowed in the designated area on the overnight and multi-day cruise
- All visitors (aged 12 years, 3 months +) will need to show their Ministry of Health issued My Vaccine Pass to board the experience and all visitors must continue to scan in using the Covid Tracer app or register their visit in writing at the entry point
- No refunds are given if a cancellation is made within 14 days of travel
- Changes to your travel date may be offered subject to notifying The Operator at least five days prior to travel. Amendments within five days of travel will result in no refund
- If a booking is made within 14 days of travel, there is a date amendment period of 24 hours immediately after booking. Please contact the operator as soon as possible
- All Covid-19 related cases are treated on a case by case basis
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely