- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us!
- All taxes included
- Discover Washington DC with a local guide by your side
- Sample some all-American tasty treats including craft beer, pizza, pastries, and fresh-baked bread
- Stroll past DC’s most historic venues and unique cultural sites
- Get a glimpse into DC’s immigrant heritage and learn about the contribution that migrants have made to the development of Washington
Washington DC Food And History Tour of H Street
Visit one of the capital’s hippest neighborhoods and check out its buzzing foodie scene!
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
WHAT TO EXPECT
You’ve seen the major sites in Washington DC — the Capitol Building, the Smithsonian Museums, and the thought-provoking memorials — but did you ever wonder about the people who built this great city? Join this food tour of H Street, the neighborhood that housed the builders and artisans who built the city and made it come to life.
After brief introductions at the meeting point, the tour kicks off with a delicious snack from a local grocery store. Then you'll head to a cafe with freshly-roasted, in-house coffee, where you may even meet the unofficial “Mayor of H St!” The tour continues to make a loop around the H Street Corridor, visiting restaurants, markets, churches, and historic sites. Stops for food samples vary depending on what is available that day, but it's always a culinary rollercoaster ride through many of DC’s most authentic and delicious neighborhood spots.
H Street is a tight-knit neighborhood with an artsy vibe, quirky bars, hip eateries, and independent designer shops. The Atlas Performing Arts Center presents films, concerts, and plays in a 1930s movie theater. The weekly farmers’ market sells seasonal produce and handmade goods, and in the fall, the H Street Festival buzzes with live music and local street food.
During this tour, you’ll hear some amazing stories about the people who used to live and work in this district, learn how food has played a big part in bringing the community together, and taste why DC’s food scene is enjoying a much-deserved resurgence. After filling up with the best food in the city, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more hints and tips on how to get the most from your stay in Washington DC
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- The H St. neighborhood has been home to immigrant communities for decades. All of the stops you visit are locally-owned establishments off the typical tourist tract.
- This is a historically minority-focused neighborhood that is rapidly gentrifying; your guide will try to take you to as many minority-owned establishments as possible in order to preserve the character and history of the area.
Meeting point: Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC. On the east side of the entrance hall at Union Station, under the clock.
Washington DC Food And History Tour of H Street
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
Where and when does this tour depart?
Departs at 10:00am from Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC. On the east side of the entrance hall at Union Station, under the clock.
Where does this tour end?
Corner of 3rd St and H St NE.
What should I bring on this tour?
Comfortable walking shoes and a government ID.
Is this tour suitable for children?
This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Will this tour get canceled because of poor weather?
Most tours will go ahead in all weather conditions. However, if tours are canceled under extreme circumstances, your guide will contact you to move your tour to another day.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, food and drink samples, craft beer tasting. Food and drink options may vary on each tour, depending on what is in season and what is available.
Dress standard: Please dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather, as much of the tour takes place outdoors.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Dietary Notes: The tour can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout.
Exclusions — Prices do not include:
- Tips and gratuities — If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers, a tip — though not compulsory — is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many the tour's destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on your tour.
- Items of a personal nature — These may include snacks, meals, and drinks not outlined as an inclusion in the inclusions section of the tour description.
- Baggage and personal insurance — It is highly recommended that each traveller obtain adequate insurance for their travels, including for the Urban Adventure(s) they have booked.
- Local taxes and fees — Unless otherwise stated, the price does not include any local taxes or fees, including foreign departure, security, port charges, park fees, customs, immigration, agricultural, passenger facility charges, or international transportation tax.
Travellers must adhere to the start time set out in the product information on their voucher. We start on time, so please allow enough time to be at the start point before your official start time on your voucher. If you know you are going to be late, please contact us on the phone number on your voucher and we'll do our best to help you catch up. If a traveller hasn't arrived on time and without any contact, the tour will consider the traveller to be a "no show" and the tour will start without them and no refund will be provided. The following start point(s) are outlined in the tour information and on the confirmation voucher:
- Pick-up — If a pick-up is included in the tour, the times the service will be provided are listed in the product information and on the voucher (for example, 8.30 to 9.00am). The traveller should wait in the lobby of their pick-up point during the designated pick-up times.
- Meeting point — If a meeting point is set for the tour, one time will be set as the start time (for example, 8.30am). The traveller should be waiting at the designated start point at the designated start time. It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the tour.
Cancellations by the traveller: Cancellation fees – Cancellation fees may apply to any cancellations by the traveller of a service provided by The Operator. Unless otherwise specified, the cancellation policy is as follows: Cancellations for set tours and made more than 48 hours prior to travel receive a full refund; Cancellations for set tours made 48 hours or less prior to travel require the traveller to pay for the tour in full, and no refund will be issued. Cancellations for custom itineraries ("Create Your Own") are as follows:
- 60+ days to departure – Full refund
- 59 - 31 days to departure – 50% cancellation fee
- 30 days and under to departure – 100% cancellation fee
Cancellations by The Operator: They may cancel a tour at any time prior to departure if, due to terrorism, natural disasters, political instability, or other external events it is not viable for us to operate the planned itinerary. If we cancel your tour, you can transfer amounts paid to an alternate departure date or, alternatively, receive a full refund. In circumstances where the cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses you may have incurred as a result of your booking, including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, or non-refundable flights.
In the case of customers travelling on a Multi-City Explorer Pass, if a tour is cancelled by The Operator, the traveller will receive a refund for the cost of that trip only, and only if the total value of tours booked with the pass at the end of the 30-day period is less than the total price paid for the pass. If a tour is cancelled by The Operator and the value of the bookings with the pass are equal to or greater than the value of the pass, the traveller will receive a 25% discount on a future single tour booking.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions
- <p>Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC. On the east side of the entrance hall at Union Station, under the clock. </p>