- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us!
- All taxes included
- Discover NYC from a local perspective, with a local guide by your side
- Learn about New York’s early immigrants and taste the eclectic mix of diversity, culture and food that they bestowed upon us
- Stroll through New York's unique cultural historic sites in the Lower East Side, Chinatown, and Little Italy
- Get a glimpse into New York’s immigrant heritage and how it is shaping the city today
- Sample some of the delicious iconic treats of New York
Lower East Side Food Tour - New YorkLearn about the neighbourhood's rich cultural history while sampling the diverse flavours of NYC's dynamic foodie scene
- Items of a personal nature, and tips/gratuities for your guide
What to Expect
Join this New York City food tour to sample the diverse flavours gifted by early immigrants while learning about the neighborhood's rich cultural history. Get in touch with the food and local culture of NYC — this tour starts off at a location where many new citizens are made official, City Hall.
On this historical tour of New York, you'll make your way in a loop around the NYC Lower East Side, seeing 100-year old bakeries, churches, and historic sites. The tour walks the streets of Little Italy just as Lucky Luciano might have a century ago. Then you'll walk past former and still operating synagogues and Jewish clothing stores. The tour dives into the rich culture remembered at places such as the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and the African Burial Ground, and the exciting streets of Chinatown, where you feel like you’re in Shanghai!
Along the way on this New York City food tour, you'll sink your teeth into amazing stories and delicious food. This tour is the best way to learn why New York City is the center of the world and about the culinary legacy left here by those who passed by Lady Liberty on their way to fulfill the American Dream.
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- On this tour, you will learn about the importance of immigration to the city (and country) and visit immigrant-owned businesses.
- Your tour promotes important cultural and historic New York foods (like a knish or bialy) that are less popular with a younger generation and are slowly dying off.
- The neighborhoods you visit are changing due to big development and large corporations, but your guide will discuss the impacts of this and focus on the importance of bringing business to the historic local businesses that are slowly disappearing due to gentrification.
Pickup: In front of the African Burial Ground National Monument, across from 7 Elk Street (between Duane and Reade Street), New York, NY 10007
Frequently Asked Questions
Departs at 10:00am in front of the African Burial Ground National Monument, across from 7 Elk Street (between Duane and Reade Street), New York, NY 10007.
In the heart of the Lower East Side neighborhood (New York, NY 10002).
Comfortable walking shoes, vaccination card, and a government ID.
This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Dress standard: Summers can be hot and humid, autumn can be cool, and winters downright frigid with snow. Dress according to the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
Your Trip: The tour is offered on a "join in" basis. Maximum group size is 12.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Exclusions — Prices do not include:
- Tips and gratuities — If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers, a tip — though not compulsory — is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many the tour's destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on your tour.
- Items of a personal nature — These may include snacks, meals, and drinks not outlined as an inclusion in the inclusions section of the tour description.
- Baggage and personal insurance — It is highly recommended that each traveller obtain adequate insurance for their travels, including for the Urban Adventure(s) they have booked.
- Local taxes and fees — Unless otherwise stated, the price does not include any local taxes or fees, including foreign departure, security, port charges, park fees, customs, immigration, agricultural, passenger facility charges, or international transportation tax.
Travellers must adhere to the start time set out in the product information on their voucher. We start on time, so please allow enough time to be at the start point before your official start time on your voucher. If you know you are going to be late, please contact us on the phone number on your voucher and we'll do our best to help you catch up. If a traveller hasn't arrived on time and without any contact, the tour will consider the traveller to be a "no show" and the tour will start without them and no refund will be provided. The following start point(s) are outlined in the tour information and on the confirmation voucher:
- Pick-up — If a pick-up is included in the tour, the times the service will be provided are listed in the product information and on the voucher (for example, 8.30 to 9.00am). The traveller should wait in the lobby of their pick-up point during the designated pick-up times.
- Meeting point — If a meeting point is set for the tour, one time will be set as the start time (for example, 8.30am). The traveller should be waiting at the designated start point at the designated start time. It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the tour.
Cancellations by the traveller: Cancellation fees – Cancellation fees may apply to any cancellations by the traveller of a service provided by The Operator. Unless otherwise specified, the cancellation policy is as follows: Cancellations for set tours and made more than 48 hours prior to travel receive a full refund; Cancellations for set tours made 48 hours or less prior to travel require the traveller to pay for the tour in full, and no refund will be issued. Cancellations for custom itineraries ("Create Your Own") are as follows:
- 60+ days to departure – Full refund
- 59 - 31 days to departure – 50% cancellation fee
- 30 days and under to departure – 100% cancellation fee
Cancellations by The Operator: They may cancel a tour at any time prior to departure if, due to terrorism, natural disasters, political instability, or other external events it is not viable for us to operate the planned itinerary. If we cancel your tour, you can transfer amounts paid to an alternate departure date or, alternatively, receive a full refund. In circumstances where the cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses you may have incurred as a result of your booking, including but not limited to visas, travel insurance, or non-refundable flights.
In the case of customers travelling on a Multi-City Explorer Pass, if a tour is cancelled by The Operator, the traveller will receive a refund for the cost of that trip only, and only if the total value of tours booked with the pass at the end of the 30-day period is less than the total price paid for the pass. If a tour is cancelled by The Operator and the value of the bookings with the pass are equal to or greater than the value of the pass, the traveller will receive a 25% discount on a future single tour booking.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely