- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- A fun boat ride across the reflective waters of Lake Mapourika
- Stand-up Paddleboarding (SUP) instruction & journey through the Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary
- Use of all equipment including dry bags, wet weather gear, sunscreen & insect repellant for a safe & comfortable journey
- Friendly & knowledgeable guide who'll provide fascinating insights into this beautiful region
- Convenient return transfers from Franz Josef, if required
Where we Visit:
- Lake Mapourika
- Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary
What to Expect
Enjoy a fun, scenic boat ride across Lake Mapourika to the sheltered far side, which boasts calm waters and a picturesque glacier and mountain backdrop.
Hop off the boat and onto your SUP, where you can enjoy the spectacular vistas of the Southern Alps and Glaciers. Your guide will provide you with some expert SUP instruction before you follow them along a narrow estuary amidst lush native rainforest and into the heart of Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary.
This sanctuary is home to New Zealand's rarest Kiwi, the rowi, with an estimated population of fewer than 500 birds. It's the only place you'll find this species and is exclusively accessed from the water – so keep your eyes peeled for the elusive Kiwi, as well as plenty of other bird species.
Once you've finished exploring the calm waterways and untouched Jurassic rainforest, head back to the boat to enjoy the relaxing journey back across the lakes.
Best of all, you don't need any experience in SUP to join this unique and fun experience; however, you do need to be able to swim.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Hanna-k is fully covered to keep you warm and dry in a weather conditions. You can even sit on the back viewing deck while remaining dry!
Lake Mapourika holds equally beautiful qualities in the rain as it does on a bluebird day. On a drizzly day enjoy dramatic clouds sweeping over the Alps and a beautiful lush misty rainforest surrounding the lake. In the rain, this is a true west coast experience! We provide wet weather equipment for any walking tours during wet weather.
- Tours require minimum numbers to operate
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel tours if minimum numbers are not met or in the event of adverse weather conditions
- The Operator assumes no responsibility for injuries, delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather conditions and other conditions beyond their control
- The Operator is not responsible for any loss or damage to property
- The minimum age is 8 years
- All participants must be able to swim
- Cancellations/date changes must be made a full 24 hours prior to the trip time
- Cancellations made within the 24 hour time frame cannot be refunded
Reviews for Franz Josef Boat & SUP The Kiwi Sanctuary
Get Instant Confirmation