- Visit the quaint seaside village of Devonport
- Swim at beautiful Cheltenham Beach
- Guided walk to the top of North Head
- Panoramic views of Auckland Harbour & city
- Explore old military tunnels & historic gun emplacements
- All specialist safety equipment provided
- Experienced guide (1 guide per 8 kayakers)
- Shorter tour - perfect for the less confident kayaker!
- Hotel pick up and drop off
Why do we love this
"We love this because Fergs Kayak Tours have been running since 1990 - these guys know what they're doing!"
WHAT TO EXPECT
ABOUT FERGS KAYAKS
Fergs Kayaks all started from the success of kiwi born, kayaking legend, Ian Ferguson and his gold medal win at 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. Ian wanted to encourage the sport of kayaking and create a safe, fun experience for the first time kayaker. In 1990 Fergs Kayaks was born and pioneered the night kayaking trip to Rangitoto which continues to this day. They now have two waterfront locations, in Auckland and Wellington.
ON THE DAY
Your North Head Military Bunker Kayaking Trip will depart from Fergs Kayak Base at Okahu Bay (10mins from downtown Auckland) at 8:30am. Your experienced guide will give you a short safety briefing before you depart. From there you will paddle across the picturesque Auckland Harbour (Waitemat? Harbour) towards the pretty seaside village of Devonport. You'll then paddle around North Head (Maungauika) to Cheltenham Beach,where you can take a dip and swim around the beautiful bay.
After your swim, you'll head up the walking track from Cheltenham Beach to the summit of North Head. Take a moment to soak up spectacular views of Auckland Harbour and the city. While you're there your guide will give you an informative tour about the historic features of North Head including military tunnels and historic gun emplacements. North Head is an extinct volcano and has been used as a defensive vantage point over the years, throughout both World Wars, this iconic Auckland landmark is not to be missed!
You'll paddle back to Fergs Kayak Base at approximately 11:30am.
*Some walking uphill is involved*
*Not recommended for pregnant women or people with back problems*
PLEASE READ FAQS BELOW
North Head & Military Bunker Kayak Tour
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
Is food provided?
Please bring at least 2 bottles of water and food to sustain you for the walk and return kayak trip, eg sandwiches or pasta and possibly nutrition bars.
What should I wear?
Clothing suitable for kayaking is required, including shorts, t-shirt, warm top, leggings
(particularly in winter). Please do not wear denim, long pants (not even rolled
up) or ¾ pants
- There are certain inherent and unavoidable risks associated with sea kayaking and that there is the possibility of personal injury to you or others and there is also the possibility of loss or damage to property belonging to you or others.
- You must observe and follow any instructions given by the suppliers representatives, including important details on the website and any emails or other communications from the supplier about what to expect, what to bring, what to wear and where you need to be at what time, and to make sure any children in your care do the same.
- You must be physically and mentally capable of carrying out the activities and that you do not suffer from any medical conditions which may be aggravated by undertaking the activities and that you have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical person. You must not be taking any medication that may adversely affect your ability to safely carry out the activities.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellations 7 days or more before departure: no fee
- Cancellations between 6 and 3 days of departure: 50% of the total cost
- Cancellations within 2 days of departure: 100% of the cost
- Please note: All kayak tours are subject to favourable weather and sea conditions. If a tour is
cancelled due to poor weather or sea conditions, you will be given the option of an alternative tour date or full refund.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions