- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us!
- Unmask the beauty and culture of contemporary Costa Rican life on this San Jose walking tour
- Discover the secrets behind handicrafts, herbal remedies, and fresh produce at Borbon and San Jose Central Market
- Become a mixologist of natural Costa Rican drinks and an expert on more than 30 local exotic fruits and vegetables
- Savor several tasty seasonal samplings of Costa Rica as well as its famous organic coffee
- See a side of San Jose only known by locals and not found in guidebooks
- Food and drink other than specified above
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
WHAT TO EXPECT
Get your cameras ready because you don’t want to miss a single moment of this colorful local experience! On this San Jose walking tour, you’ll get up close and personal with Costa Rican life, through local food, history, and even the herbal remedies of folk medicine. Enjoy a hands-on lesson on exotic plants, fruits, vegetables, and the smoothies they can create in the midst of the vibrant city markets. Nothing could get you closer to authentic San Jose than strolling through the streets with a local as they show you the ins and outs of daily life. Wander through the city on this tour that takes typical San Jose and turns it into a local experience you’ll never forget!
Your San Jose food tour starts with a morning pick-me-up cup of coffee in a café located in the Borbons Market, where you’ll get to know your guide and relax in your surroundings. From here, the tour will walk through the vibrant market, tasting local fresh fruits while learning about the agricultural history of the area. You’ll visit a number of stands including a coffee stand to learn the Costa Rican chorreado brewing method and a local folk medicine stand where you’ll learn about curing everything from a hangover to a broken heart. Coffee and markets play an important role in the history of San Jose, and you’ll get the inside scoop on what they mean to the city and its citizens.
Your San Jose market tour continues along local roads towards the Central Market. Seeing the diverse sites of these markets will help you get to know the country and its rich history. On this tour, you’ll also get more in tune with San Jose. There’s no better place to experience local cuisine than the Central Market, a 120-year old building full to the brim with typical Costa Rican food and drink. Here you can sample local delicacies, learn about the herbs used in local medicines, or sip on your second rich and smooth Costa Rican coffee of the day. The Central Market is an experience that no visitor the San Jose should miss, and with a local guide by your side, you’ll unearth all the secrets behind this San Jose treasure.
The Central Market will be the last stop on this San Jose tour, and by the end, you’ll be full of local knowledge (and perhaps even some local lingo!). This is the full San Jose experience that is sure to be a highlight of your time in this vibrant city!
Meeting point: Front entrance of the National Theatre, Avenida 2, calle1, Catedral, San José, Costa Rica
San Jose Bites And Sights Walking Tour
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
Where and when does this tour depart?
Departs at 8:30am from the front entrance of the National Theatre, Avenida 2, calle1, Catedral, San José, Costa Rica.
Where does this tour end?
Central Avenue, San Jose.
What should I bring on this tour?
Extra cash for food and drink, souvenirs, items of a personal nature, and tips/gratuities for your guide. Casual clothing is appropriate for this tour, and we advise you wear comfortable shoes. Hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen may need to be worn if the weather is hot.
Are children allowed on this tour?
Yes, children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Will this tour continue if the weather is bad?
Most tours will go ahead in all weather conditions. However, if tours are canceled under extreme circumstances, your guide will contact you to move your tour to another day.
Inclusions: Local English speaking guide, food samples.
Dress standard: Casual clothing is appropriate for this tour, and we advise you wear comfortable shoes. Hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen may need to be worn if the weather is hot.
Your Trip: You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Dietary Notes: The tour can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
Exclusions — Prices do not include:
- Tips and gratuities — If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers, a tip — though not compulsory — is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many the tour's destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on your tour.
- Items of a personal nature — These may include snacks, meals, and drinks not outlined as an inclusion in the inclusions section of the tour description.
- Baggage and personal insurance — It is highly recommended that each traveller obtain adequate insurance for their travels, including for the Urban Adventure(s) they have booked.
- Local taxes and fees — Unless otherwise stated, the price does not include any local taxes or fees, including foreign departure, security, port charges, park fees, customs, immigration, agricultural, passenger facility charges, or international transportation tax.
Travellers must adhere to the start time set out in the product information on their voucher. We start on time, so please allow enough time to be at the start point before your official start time on your voucher. If you know you are going to be late, please contact us on the phone number on your voucher and we'll do our best to help you catch up. If a traveller hasn't arrived on time and without any contact, the tour will consider the traveller to be a "no show" and the tour will start without them and no refund will be provided. The following start point(s) are outlined in the tour information and on the confirmation voucher:
- Pick-up — If a pick-up is included in the tour, the times the service will be provided are listed in the product information and on the voucher (for example, 8.30 to 9.00am). The traveller should wait in the lobby of their pick-up point during the designated pick-up times.
- Meeting point — If a meeting point is set for the tour, one time will be set as the start time (for example, 8.30am). The traveller should be waiting at the designated start point at the designated start time. It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the tour.
Cancellations by the traveller: Cancellation fees – Cancellation fees may apply to any cancellations by the traveller of a service provided by The Operator. Unless otherwise specified, the cancellation policy is as follows: Cancellations for set tours and made more than 48 hours prior to travel receive a full refund; Cancellations for set tours made 48 hours or less prior to travel require the traveller to pay for the tour in full, and no refund will be issued. Cancellations for custom itineraries ("Create Your Own") are as follows:
- 60+ days to departure – Full refund
- 59 - 31 days to departure – 50% cancellation fee
- 30 days and under to departure – 100% cancellation fee
Cancellations by The Operator: They may cancel a tour at any time prior to departure if, due to terrorism, natural disasters, political instability, or other external events it is not viable for us to operate the planned itinerary. If we cancel your tour, you can transfer amounts paid to an alternate departure date or, alternatively, receive a full refund. In circumstances where the cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses you may have incurred as a result of your booking, including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, or non-refundable flights.
In the case of customers travelling on a Multi-City Explorer Pass, if a tour is cancelled by The Operator, the traveller will receive a refund for the cost of that trip only, and only if the total value of tours booked with the pass at the end of the 30-day period is less than the total price paid for the pass. If a tour is cancelled by The Operator and the value of the bookings with the pass are equal to or greater than the value of the pass, the traveller will receive a 25% discount on a future single tour booking.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions
- <div><span>Front entrance of the National</span><span> Theatre, </span><span><span>Avenida 2, calle1, Catedral, San José, Costa Rica</span></span></div> <div> <div> </div> </div>