- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us
- 4 hr sailing trip along the pristine shores of the Great Sandy Straits, onboard an eco friendly, award-winning, modern sailing vessel
- Opportunities to see magnificent bottlenose dolphins & Australian humpback dolphins, plus dugongs, turtles, & seabirds
- Delicious morning tea served onboard
- Optional return transfers from selected local Hervey Bay accommodation, or the option to self-drive to the marina
- Departs from the meeting point at Berth B7, Great Sandy Straits Marina, Buccaneer Drive, Urangan
K'Gari (Fraser Island) Eco-Sailing AdventureTake an eco-sailing adventure to spot dolphins along the the pristine coast of the Great Sandy Straits, with morning tea included.
- Drink purchases from the onboard bar
What to Expect
With over 35 years of experience in the field, this cruise provides an insider's guide to one of the friendliest marine mammals in Queensland's waters – dolphins.
Aboard a comfortable multi award-winning sailing vessel, the crew will take you right to the spot where the dolphins are. This enables you to watch pods of the bottlenose dolphins (aduncas) and Australian humpback dolphins (Sousa sahulensis) as they play along the coast of the Great Sandy Straits. These magnificent marine creatures will take your breath away as you get up close and personal with them in their own environment, creating memories that will last forever.
The bottlenose dolphin is the better known of the two species, and there are now about 25 individuals the crew can recognise by their dorsal fin. They've been working on a photo ID catalogue for the last couple of years. Meanwhile, the Australian humpback dolphin is smaller, a little harder to find and photographing them can be a difficult task but can be well worth it. Most guests have never seen this species before, so it is always a good day when you see them.
The K'Gari (Fraser Island) Eco-Sailing Adventure has been going for over ten years with a 95% success rate in finding dolphins each time! The tour lasts approximately four hours, and morning tea is provided. In the summer, weather permitting, there is often the opportunity to take a swim near one of the shallow sandbanks and enjoy the aqua mat and boom netting for an immersive water experience like no other.
In addition to finding dolphins on the tour, you may also spot turtles, dugongs, seabirds and other marine life. The dugongs of the Great Sandy Straits have been heavily impacted upon in recent years by floods down the Mary and Susan River systems and the loss of the seagrass beds. So on the days that you encounter a dugong, it is a great bonus for all on board.
Finally, the vessel itself is a luxurious 11.6m catamaran, with expansive decks and plenty of undercover seating. There's a full walk-in bathroom, 240v power, wifi-enabled, hydrophone so you can listen to the dolphins communicating with each other. The boat is surveyed for 30 passengers, but numbers are limited to 24 for passenger comfort. Limiting the number of passengers allows you to have a more personal relationship with the dolphins and the crew, which is necessary for an authentic eco-tourism experience.
The K'Gari (Fraser Island) Eco Sailing Adventure is the perfect half-day tour to explore the Fraser Coast's natural environment, discover the playful marine life and create memories to last a lifetime.
Where we Visit:
- The Great Sandy Strait
Frequently Asked Questions
The catamaran is designed to provide a stable ride and it doesn't go out into open ocean waters. However, depending on the sea conditions you may experience motion sickness. If you think you may experience motion sickness there are medications that you can take prior to boarding. Please talk to your doctor or pharmacy for advice on which is right for you. In addition to this, you can also eat ginger, SAO biscuits and bananas to ease this feeling.
No, smoking is not permitted while on board.
Yes, we have a comfortable seating area shaded from the sun allowing you to rest while still taking in 180 degree views.
- Boarding commences 15 minutes before the departure time
- Tours operate according to weather conditions & the Operator reserves the right to cancel the tour in the case of adverse weather
- Passengers must take reasonable care for their safety and comply with any reasonable and lawful directions of the master or a member of the crew of the vessel
- In the event the clients cancel inside of 24 hours of the departure time a 100% fee is incurred
- 24 to 48 hours notice a 50% fee is incurred
- More than 48 hours notice full refund, less agent's commission
Reviews for K'Gari (Fraser Island) Eco-Sailing Adventure
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely