- Tour a Barramundi fish farm!
- Learn how they grow and supply top quality, sustainable produce to restaurants/merchants
- Explore over 3 hectares of earthen ponds filled with saltwater from the Daintree River
- Enjoy a Daintree Saltwater Barramundi tasting plate for a real farm to table experience
- Perfect educational activity for the whole family!
1 Hour Barramundi Gourmet Farm Tour
Learn how Daintree Saltwater Barramundi Fish Farm supplies world-class barramundi to some of the finest restaurants!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Go behind the scenes of the multi award-winning Daintree Saltwater Barramundi Farm! See how they grow and supply top quality, sustainable produce to restaurants and merchants all over Australia. Your expert guide will take you on a journey of fishy discovery that explores the amazing iconic Australian Barramundi from fingerling to finger food.
For 18 years, this farm has been providing a sustainable supply of world-class barramundi to some of the finest restaurants across the country, and many happy families Far North Queensland. All without depleting wild food stocks! Despite its indigenous name, over 60% of barramundi in Australia is imported. Most Aussies don’t know where their barra comes from and have no guarantee of quality or origin.
Daintree Saltwater Barramundi Fish Farms are perfectly positioned beside the Daintree River, sandwiched between the World Heritage-listed Daintree Rainforest, Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. On the 49 hectare property, they grow fish in over 3 hectares of earthen ponds filled with saltwater from the Daintree River and replicating the natural habitat of the Barramundi. The farm starts with 10cm long hand-selected fingerlings from local hatcheries and, over 12 to 18 months, grow them to commercial size. This is an Australian company, managed by long-time local Mark Hober (aka Farmer Mark). He’s passionate about Barra (just ask him!) and grew up fishing the Daintree River. Don’t tell him we told you, but he’s a giant in the industry, respected for his leadership in innovation, management, sustainability and best practice.
Barramundi is the a superfood — it’s chokkas full of essential vitamins and minerals that support your immune, cardiovascular and nervous systems, all of which are pretty important! It has the highest Omega-3s of any white fish. Half the calories of salmon and 40g calcium in just one fillet. Packed full of protein. It takes only 1.5kg feed for a farmed barramundi to grow 1kg in weight; but it takes 5kg for a cow, 4kg for a sheep and 15-25kg for a wild barra. So it’s great for the environment too!
This Gourmet Farm Tour is a premium, small group, guided tour lasting 1 hour and including a Daintree Saltwater Barramundi tasting plate.
1 Hour Barramundi Gourmet Farm Tour
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Minimum unit order: 1 persons.
Where does this tour take place?
Lot 3 Vixes Rd, Wonga Beach, QLD 4873
- To protect visitors, there are implemented practices to comply with The Queensland Government's Covid19 Safe Business Restrictions.
- Please ensure that you are in good health when booking as entry will be refused to persons displaying symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Should you become unwell before your visit please contact us to reschedule your visit for another day
- If you are late for your fishing session, the tour will do its best to move you to another session or get you started as soon as possible. Please be aware that the Intro to Barra Fishing tuition is subject to guide availability if you arrive outside of the scheduled sessions.
- No refunds for cancellations within 24 hours. If you are feeling unwell and are unable to participate, the operator will rearrange your tour or give you a voucher which is valid for 3 years.
- Guest cancellations prior to 24 hours will be refunded in full minus a 5% administration fee.
- If the tour is forced to cancel your tour for any reason they will provide a 100% refund.
- If you miss your tour and have not contacted in advance, they will be unable to offer a refund, but will re-schedule your session or offer you a gift voucher for future use.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions